Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Taking a Clean Shower

To add you what I just put I have to very quickly sum up a month and a little more.

I was sick and tired and saw Santiago and was alittle astrainged by it, I came back to Argentina and rather liked the little time I had left, even though this was a little embittered by not having quite enough money coming in.

About a week ago I came back to Chile to start work. I had too many things to do with not enough time but somehow managed to cram it all into some sort of working package. I suffered in a frozen, cold-water shower hostel cramed with a mottley crew of Peuvian Radical Liberal party members (who were actually quite nice) and passed those few days frantically searching for a real appartment, a bed and all those other thousand comforts and conveniences we take for granted.

I did it, and secured for myself with the help of my new employer a very beautiful if unfurnished appartment in the historic part of town. It is on the 14th floor and entirely new. I could never afford this in manhattan - it´s really something to see.

The new job can be stressful and the hours are quite irregular, but everyone seems here to be in it tougether. The Chilean work ethic is not the American one and days are long and full of dilatory space with frenetic action only here and there. This is an unaccustomed kind of work schedule for me and will take some getting used to, but already I am starting to acclimated (after all I am at work now).

The Chileans are more guarded with their friendships than Argentines are and I am yet to make any real amigos. Their dialect is utterly basilectical in all aspects and I am asked constantly if I am from Spain. My way of speech sounds hilariously proper and formal to the man on the street.

Anyway, we did a big deal last night and I was up here till 10 at least in the office, so I can see how it will be. Some long days with nothing and some very full nights.

I took a shower this morning in the new appartment and enjoyed the hot water. The first time in more than a week that I had a real hot shower, and it was utterly orgasimic. I can´t describe how nice it is to feel actually clean again instead of being a dirty ball of mush, which everything from between Buenos Aires to Santiago has stuck too.

I was horrified, as I turned on the hot shower and felt its pleasing waters wash over me, to see the dirt litterally comming off in big, muddy rivulets.

No comments:

Post a Comment